Waverly High School History
The first black school for Franklin Parish was Waverly High School, formerly an all-white school. The original staff was as follows:
Mr. Edward Blunt, Principal
Mr. Thomas Brown
Mrs. Ruth Broom
Mrs. Bessie Collins
Mrs. Georgia M. Tillman, Teacher-Coach Girls Basketball
This school was officially opened to black students in 1947. In 1951, the church schools in North Franklin Parish were closed and these students attended Waverly High School. The black supervisor serving this school was Mrs. Hattie Corbin.
The original Waverly lunch room workers were Mrs. Georgia M. Rushing and Mrs. Maggie Smith .
Mr. Edward Blunt resigned, and Mr. B.J. Franklin became principal in 1963.
In 1969, with the desegregation law, Waverly High School was closed. The students were divided between Crowville and Baskin Schools.