History of Walnut Hill High School
Walnut Hill High School was opened in September, 1956 with a pupil enrollment of 1325 and a staff composed of a principal, registrar-counselor, secretary and forty-eight teachers. These students, enrolled in grades 1-12, were formerly enrolled in twenty-one small schools in the southwestern portion of the parish at the elementary level and at Booker T. Washington in the high school division.
Located on an eighty-acre tract on the Woolworth Road, the facility originally contained , in addition to regular classroom area, an administrative suite, combination auditorium-cafeteria, gymnasium, library, home living suite, music area, industrial and vocational agriculture shops and sufficient acreage to carry on a program of demonstration farming. This plant was constructed under the $20,000,000.00 parish-wide building program and is one of the three high schools designed to serve the needs of the rural sections of the parish.
With the present increased enrollment of 1539 pupils, 4 teachers and 4 classrooms have been added. Recently added also was a lighted football stadium with a 1500 seating capacity.
Served by school bus transportation, Walnut Hill High School is designed to provide a comprehensive program of education for youth of this community.
Shreveport Sun, May 30, 1964
The schools who comprised Walnut Hill High School are listed:
Greenwood (Maybell) School Flournoy School
Reisor School Home Union School
Jefferson Fork School Starlight School
St. Mary School Daisy Grove School
Pleasant Grove School Pleasant Hill School
Spring Hill School Hall Grove School
Crossroad School Pinegrove School
Liberty School (Burris) Lighthall School
Bethel (1,2) School Missionary School (1,2)
Long Sycamore Sycamore School White Hall School
Preston School Galilee School
Keithville School Springridge Jr. High School
Oak Hill Jr. High School Lucas Jr. High School
Mount Olive Jr. High School Beaver Pond School
(Click the the article)