VALENCIA HIGH SCHOOL HISTORY
In 1964 in Shreveport, the Stoner Hill, Valencia, Brooks Street and Westside communities were positively impacted by the opening of a new institution of learning named the Valencia Junior- Senior High School. The school mascot was the “Viking” and the school colors were green and orange. Valencia competed in academics and sports in the Louisiana Interscholastic Athletic and Literary Organization (LIALO) which was the governing body for the Black High schools in Louisiana.
The school was built specifically for Black students in 1964 despite the United States Supreme Court ruling banning segregation in public schools in 1954.
Valencia’s first seniors graduated in 1965. Many of their graduates went on to higher education in Louisiana and other states all over the country.
Valencia Junior -Senior High School was the only school in Caddo Parish that offered industrial career training programs in mechanical drawing, small motors, welding, and medical careers (nursing).
The last class to graduate from Valencia graduated in the spring of 1970. As part of a school desegregation plan Valencia Junior- Senior High School transitioned to a middle school in 1970 and remained a middle school until 1980. Caddo Parish Magnet High school opened in 1980.