There was a uniqueness to Holy Ghost High School, a symbol hidden in clear daylight for everyone to see. Their mascot, the Dove , symbolized peace , love, tranquility and the message. Mascots in other schools symbolized ferocity, lions, tigers, bears, dragons, eagles, rams, bulldogs and bloodhounds.
The nuns arrived by horse drawn wagons in 1874 and they established the St. Joseph School. They worked tirelessly to have a secondary school graduation in 1906 and a second graduation followed in 1913. Construction followed the good news with a new building erected in 1914.
A new building was erected in 1955 for the Doves. Holy Ghost High School was merged with Academy of the Immaculate Conception in 1970. The new school became Opelousas Catholic School. The Doves and their accomplishments are a tribute to the horse -drawn wagons filled with nuns with a mission of peace, love and tranquility. The message survives and the Doves are remembered.