The National Register entry for the Dormitory of Tangipahoa Parish Training School (TPTS) has been added to the National Register Section. The dormitory of the Kentwood, Louisiana school was constructed in the early 1920s and was moved to another location in 1978 to prevent its destruction. TPTS was the site of secondary education for many African American students in the surrounding parishes and Southern Mississippi. The dormitory enabled their attendance.
TPTS was the first of the first of 16 parish training schools constructed in Louisiana. It changed its name to O.W. Dillon Memorial High school from 1955-1969. After Integration, it became Kentwood Elementary School.
The Dormitory became the first National Register entry for Louisiana’s African American High Schools in 1979.