History of Southern Lab High School
The Southern University Laboratory School System began operating in September 1922. The founding of a University-based school was the realization of Dr. J.S. Clark’s dream that a strong training school should be established to provide a training ground for University students enrolled in the teacher preparation program. The earliest school was called the Southern University Model Training School. In the early 1930’s the name was changed to Southern University Demonstration School. A few years later, the school was renamed the Southern University Laboratory School. The Laboratory School was first accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1936.
From its beginning in 1922 until the present time, a major objective of the Laboratory School has been to participate in the preparation of teachers, while providing a good elementary and secondary education for college-bound students. During its eighty-nine plus years of existence, the Laboratory School has graduated more than 5,000 students, a substantial number of whom have been trailblazers in their chosen professions. Its graduates are found in the ranks of doctors, dentists, psychologists, psychiatrists, lawyers, engineers, artists, athletes, university administrators, military officers, entrepreneurs, educators and other professionals.
The Southern Laboratory School District is currently comprised of two schools. A pre-kindergarten twelfth brick and mortar on the campus of Southern University Baton Rouge in addition to a kindergarten through twelfth-grade virtual school that serves students throughout the state of Louisiana. The faculty and administration for the laboratory school in its various forms from 1919 to the present were carefully chosen by the University administration. Its first Head Teacher was Miss Hildred Thomas (appointed by Dr. Joseph S. Clark). Dr. Ronnie Harrison currently serves as its Director.
Southern Lab Year Books