History of Scottville High School
By Mrs. Rose Ethel Wilson
High schools in Plaquemine’s Parish did not exist before the 1950’s and the early Scottville schools began as one-room buildings. Black churches served as schools in various communities. The first school was built in the late 1930’s. Grades 1- 8 were taught and this pattern continued into the 1940’s. One of the churches was St. Paul Baptist Church in the community of Ironton, Louisiana. At St. Paul Baptist Church School the first teacher was Mrs. Mary Reynolds in the 1940’s. Susie A. Miller and a substitute teacher were the first teachers at Ironton. In Scottville a house was the site of the first school.
In 1948 Mrs. Rose Ethel Wilson and seven classmates graduated from 8th grade at Pointe a la Hache and received a bus permit to go to Algiers, Louisiana to L. B. Landry High School. In 1950 Scottville High School construction began in Belle Chasse and was completed in 1955. The first graduation occurred in 1957 with seven students, five females and two males.
Scottville students came from Pointe a la Hache, Magnolia, Diamond, City Price and Belle Chasse. The school fielded teams in basketball and track. The Apaches sported green and gold colors.
The first principal was Mr. William C. Jones. He had health problems near the transition period to integration. After his demise, Miss Andre Lawrence became principal.
The first graduation class included Rose Ethel Wilson, Gertrude Morris, Joyce Marie Cornie, Hazel Brooks, Audrey Brooks, Omaly Garrison and Samuel Gabriel. The basketball team won their basketball tournament. The physical school plant was well-maintained over the years. Unfortunately, Scottville High School’s fate was similar to contemporary African American high schools in Louisiana…, closure in 1971. The school’s name was changed to Belle Chasse Middle School.