Rhymes High School, ca 1931-1969
Rhymes High School was established for the rural white community in 1931, and in 1949, the school was given to rural blacks. The students who attended Rhymes came from various plantations or rural farms in Rayville, Mangham, and Start. The first bus drivers used their personal funds to purchase buses to transport the students, but they were paid by the Richland Parish School Board for the services. Mrs. Carrie B. Johnson served as principal of Rhymes from 1937 to 1969.
Although the Rhymes School System, in which the respondents’ children received their early educational training, remained poorly equipped with limited learning resources until its closure in 1969, many of its black students went to graduate from college. These achievements enabled these individuals to help lift their families out of poverty.
by Luke J. Letlow
Rhymes High School, Then and Now
Courtesy of Luke J. Letlow