History of Northwestern High School
By David Horton
The first known school for Negroes in Zachary was a one room school held in the Little Star Baptist Church building. Among the first teachers were Mesdames Helen Vining, Violet Vining, Essie Thornton, Gladys Dunkins, Eola Morrison, Aslee Eames and a Mr. Thornton.
Schools sessions ran for six months and students from miles around walked to the school.
In 1934, the new Rosenwald school, situated on the site of the present Masonic Hall on the Old Slaughter road, and known as Zachary Colored School was opened. Because of a lack of room, the Union Baptist Church building was used for some school activities.
During the Rosenwald era, Mrs. Aslee Eames, Mrs. Eola M. Wilson, Harold Frazier, Carlisle Chapman, Eddie White and Kermit Patty served as principals.
The present Northwestern Middle school, known originally as Zachary Colored Junior High School, first held classes during the 1951-52 school session. The next year, through consultation with the parents, students and teachers, the name “Northwestern Junior High” was adopted.
Beginning with grades one through nine, another grade a year was added. In the 1954-55 session, Northwestern became a junior-senior high school and its first class was graduated in 1955. They were: Melvin Riley, Louise Stewart Horton, Louis Payne, Nathaniel Thomas, Vivanese Lee Stewart, Edith Morrison Hayes, Maxine Clemmons Kemp, Sarah Snowden, Marion Lucas, Charlotte Marshall Smith, Joseph Smith, Johnnie Richardson, Clarence Taylor, Harvey Morgan, Elizabeth Clark Turner, George Lawson, Caroline Tolbert Wicker, Earnest Jackson and Evelena George.
The school experienced tremendous academic and athletic success, being known throughout the state for its academic excellence and winning tradition-in football, track, baseball and basketball. Its band gained great
PRINCIPAL ELMER GLOVER
respect for its colorful half time shows and stage performances. Graduates have held their own in competing with people throughout the nation and they have attained high positions in occupational pursuits in most areas requiring top academic preparation.
With the advent of integration, Northwestern became Zachary’s Middle school, while the formerly all white high school became the senior high. Today, Northwestern Middle school takes seriously the task of preparing students to be successful academically and teaching young athletes to be well prepared Braves, so they can transfer their fighting spirit from the Braves to the Broncos on and off the athletic field. Elmer T. Glover is principal of Northwestern. There are thirty faculty members.
Northwestern High School Faculty
Above is a slideshow of the faculty at Northwestern High School.