History of Mayfield High School
“Reverend Roy A. Mayfield (1876-1944)” Published August 5, 1999, The Guardian-Journal Mayfield High School namesake, Reverend Roy A. Mayfield, was a firm believer in II Timothy 2:15, “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed.” It was sometime prior to 1926 when the Homer/Mayfield School first opened as “The Homer Normal Industrial and Bible Training School,” located on the site of the present Homer Junior High School on Pearl Street. Through the efforts of Reverend Roy A. Mayfield and donations from local churches and other organizations, the two-story building was constructed. At that time, the school offered educational courses in grades one through twelve, as well as music and Bible classes. Mayfield was born in Vienna, LA in 1876. He graduated from high school in Ruston in 1892 and married Susie Pearl Legardy. He taught public school in Louisiana and Arkansas and pastored in a number of churches beginning with Ebenezer Baptist Church in Homer in 1902. It was sometime after Mayfield’s death in February 1944 the school was renamed Mayfield High School. The Claiborne Parish School Board purchased the building, establishing the first public school for black children in Homer, holding classes from first through tenth grades. In 1926, the School Board hired the first principal, Allen Roy Rushing, a graduate of Wiley College in Marshall, Texas. Until 1942, Rushing remained principal helping rebuild after a fire destroyed the original school building and was helpful in establishing Homer Colored High. From 1943-1944, M. M. Coleman served as principal, Lawrence Webb from 1944-1945, then Professor Reverend John S. Davis from 1945-1958. It was during Davis’ administration, the school was renamed Mayfield High School in honor of Reverend Mayfield. The school also added a home economic cottage, vocational arts shop, and football program. Other principals were N. F. Harrison who served from 1958-1965 and Huey V. Fields from 1965 to the fall of 1970, when the school merged with Homer. At that time, Mayfield High School became Homer Jr. High, thus ending all projects and activities of Mayfield School.