History of Mary McLeod Bethune High School
Prior to the construction of Mary McLeod Bethune High School, African American students traveled to New Orleans to attend high school. Mary McLeod Bethune High School opened in 1951 in Norco, Louisiana. The school was named after Mary McLeod Bethune, the founder of the National Council of Negro Women and the Director of Negro Affairs for the National Youth Administration from 1936 to 1944. Students who lived in communities on the east side of Mississippi River in St. Charles Parish, Montz, St. Rose, New Sarpy, Destrehan and Norco, attended Bethune High School.
The origin of the school can be traced to Mr. Albert Cammom who sued St. Charles Parish School System because there was not a high school in the parish for African American students. His sacrifice was, he lost employment for this bold action which led to the construction of Bethune High School and George Washington Carver High School.
Bethune High School’s first principal was Mr. Pollard. In the school’s second year Mr. Harry Robottom became the principal. Mr. Ernest Pedseleaux succeeded Mr. Robottam.
Mary McLeod Bethune High school closed in 1969.S