Magnolia Training School History
In 1922, Magnolia Training School developed at the same time as Cedar Grove Junior High with Cube Combs, a prominent figure in the African American community at the time, helping the formation of this school through the Rosenwald Fund. Through this funding, buildings were added to the school and curriculum was established for grades 1-9. By the 1950s, buses were bringing children to Magnolia Training School from some 80 miles away. By 1960, all of the smaller schools in the area were consolidated into Combs-McIntyre High School (once Cedar Grove Junior High School) in Oak Grove and Magnolia Training School in Pioneer. Along with Combs-McIntyre High School, Magnolia Training School was integrated in 1970 following desegregation.