History of George Washington Carver High School
In the spring of 1919, St. Landry Parish responded to the black residents of St. Landry Parish Second Ward by approving a school. A two-story crude wooden frame building opened in the fall of 1919. Mr. Leonard Hammond was principal, and Mrs. Kate Johnson was a teacher. Shortly afterwards, this team was replaced by Miss Josie Hammond and Miss Bertha Johnson.
The school was supported mainly by a highly motivated black community with minimal assistance from the St. Landry Parish School Board. A native son graduated Xavier University and returned to Sunset in 1936. Three years later, Edward James Ray became principal of the school.
Many changes occurred early in Mr. Ray’s tenure as principal. The School’s name was changed from Sunset Colored School to George Washington Carver School. Classrooms were built, wired with electricity, installed with plumbing, campus expanded, and the school year was expanded through volunteer teaching.
A four-year high school, George Washington Carver High School graduated its first class of twenty students in 1950. This accomplishment was followed by the addition of a brick complex building. Two years later a gymnasium and eight classrooms were added to create a high school-elementary school plant.
George Washington Carver High School withstood many challenges over its history. Its existence began with the Sunset Community and it ended with community support.
Mr. Frank Adams Mrs. Josie Hammond
Mrs. Agatha Barker Mrs. Bertha Johnson
Mr. Francis Briscoe, Sr. Mrs. Kate Johnson
Mr. Francis Briscoe, Jr. Rev. C. S. Malbrough
Mr. Ollie Briscoe Mrs. Delzine Meche
Mrs. Sylvia Briscoe Mr. Albert Roberts
Mrs. Lillian Broussard Mr. Joseph Stewart
Mr. Paul Dixon Mr. Alfred Smith
Mrs. Mary L. Johnson