Charlotte A. Mitchell High School History
Charlotte A. Mitchell Jr.-Sr. High School began as a combination high school in 1941 with Mr. P.J McDaniel as its first principal.
Mr. McDaniel retired during the 1946 -47 session and was succeeded by Mr. J.L. Strong. In 1950 a new plant was erected on a new site on Cox Street and the principal, faculty and high school students were transferred leaving the elementary pupils and faculty in the old plant at an elementary school which was later named Butler. The name of the high school was later changed from Bossier City Colored High School to Charlotte A. Mitchell High school in honor of a former Jeanes teacher and Supervisor of Bossier Parish Schools.
In 1961-62, Mr. D.V. Bryant succeeded Mr. J. L. Strong as principal of the old school which now had twenty-two teachers, the principal and four hundred seventy-five students in grades seven through twelve. The principal and nine of the teachers had master’s degrees from leading universities in the country and several teachers had completed work above the master’s degree level. The 1969 graduating class was the last class to graduate before the school closed.