Central High School, Calhoun, LA
Central High School began in a one-room building with a dirt floor in 1886. These humble beginnings marked the hope for the African American High school in Mineral Springs, Louisiana. Education for African Americans in Louisiana required sacrifice. Following the legacy of other African American schools, land was donated: additional land was matched by the Ouachita Parish School Board. The serpentine cheers in Calhoun were then heard from the Rattlers at Calhoun. They arrived with a bang and finally in 1970 the school was demoted to an elementary school. The Rattlers are part of the legacy of people who secured their future with personal sacrifice.
A classic description of how education for African American youth began is vividly detailed in Winn Parish. A group of local churches formed the foundation for primary education. The Rosenwald Fund came to the aid of the African American community in May, 1929 establishing the Winn Training School. Over the ensuing years new additions were made. Winn Training School endured until 1957 when a new facility was provided; this facility became Pinecrest High School. The Hornets continued to prosper until 1970.
W. O. Boston High School was a fixture in the African American High School community; it endured into the early 1980’s. A thoughtful alumni decided to commemorate its graduates from its inception until its demise. We are elated to celebrate its legacy. The Panthers imprint has extended to the African American community nationwide. The Panthers leave their footprint upon this site as a shadow of all of its graduates who have wandered through its halls and classrooms. Panther-lore continues.